My son is a big fa of the Assassins Creed Game series and had to have a costume for Halloween. Well you can't go out and buy one in a child size so I had to make one. After looking at the different Assassins Creed characters I decided the Altair would be the easiest to make. I looked at photos and his action figures and this is what I came up with. Not bad if I do say so myself.
This is how I did it. I stated with the hood and altered a girls poncho pattern.
Next was the tunic. I stared with a girls basic dress pattern and altered it (don't tell my son he is wearing a dress). I added bias tape around the armholes and neckline.
For the underskirt I made a basic waistband and the drafted a pattern based on what I could make from the photos.
A simple red sash.
My husband made the awesome belt from fake leather and binder clasps. I added red trim around it and a Velcro closure.
He wore a white t-shirt udder the tunic, black pants and black shoes. He had to have lots of weapons with his costume.
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
This month I am happy to be sewing along with Hopeful Threads September Project, Create H.O.P.E. Designs sew along. CHD patterns cost only $5 and include quilts, toys, clothing and more. The best part is that 100% of the pattern sales benefits orphan relief foundations all over the world.
One of the patterns I chose to sew is the Carolina Coast Dress by Seamingly Smitten.
Not only is this dress super cute, it is easy to sew. There are no patterns to print out, just measure and cut. The dimensions are include for girls sizes 1-6. The directions are very clear and there are lots of pictures included. I think it took me about an hour to sew the dress.
I did make a slight modification to the design. I decided to make two tie straps instead of the halter design. This makes the dress more versatile. It could be worn as a sundress or a jumper with a t-shirt under it. I will definitely be making more dresses from this pattern.
I made this dress for the Hawaii chapter of Dress A Girl Around the World.
You can find out more about the sew a long at Hopeful Threads.
Thursday, February 28, 2013
This month I made a batch of adult size bibs for the Dinner for 2 February project over at Hopeful Threads. She is collecting both adult and child size bibs. I started out making adult bibs first.
I decided to draft my own pattern for this project and thought I would show you I did it.
18"x36" paper for the pattern
1 yard of main fabric
1 yard of fabric for the backing ( I used flannel)
First I used a large plate (10") to round out the corners of my 18"x36" paper.
Next I used a small plate to make the neck hole. I used an 8" plate but I think a 6"-7" plate might be better. Measure 3" from the top center, trace and cut your circle.
To make the neck hole fit better measure 2"-3" in from the center and round the edges. I used a lid from a jar.
This is what the neckline should look like.
And this is what the pattern looks like.
Next you want to cut one focus fabric and one backing fabric. I used 100% cotton for the focus fabric and flannel for the backing. Pin right sides togther and sew around the edges using a 3/8" seam allowance.
Leave a 3"-4" opening at the bottom for turning.
Clip curves. Turn right side out. Fold the bottom opening under and press. Topstich aroud 1/4" around the edges.
The final step is to add Velco. Cut a piece of Velcro 4" long. Place about 1" from the edge and sew down as shown. I usually put the hook on the bottom and the loop (the soft side) on the top. You may need to adjust the Velcro before sewing it down to make sure the neckline lies flat.
And there you have it! A finished adult sized bib.
Check out Hopeful Threads February Flickr Group to see all the wonderful bibs that were sewn.
Stop by Hopeful Threads monthly to see what awesome project she has in store.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Sunday, August 19, 2012
It has been a busy couple of weeks around here both at home and at work. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to do much sewing. I was able to finish sewing a tote bag that I started back in June and never finished. I made it for a gift and had a hard time letting it go.
I used the Emily Bag pattern by I Think Sew. I love her patterns. They are very well written and she has a nice variety of bags, clutches and cloth shoes. This was my first time making this bag and like her other patterns I found the instructions easy to follow.
The bag itself is a nice large size.
It has a snap closure and interior pockets.
I used upholstery fabric for the exterior and a light blue for the interior. For the straps I used some scrap polka dot denim I had on hand.
I hope my busy schedule lightens up soon because I am really itching to do some sewing.
I hope everyone had a great weekend.
Friday, July 27, 2012
I love thrifting and garage sales. They are a great source of creativity. Recently I found this shirt made beautiful green plaid. It was a size XXL and you know what that means, lots of fabric. Better yet it was only 50 cents. I knew I had to make a pair of shorts from this shirt.
The only problem was that it had a big stain on the bottom front. I figured I could work around it.
So I deconstructed the shirt.
Cut out my pattern and sewed it together.
I had planned on using the front pocket as a rear pocket for the shorts, but with an XXL shirt comes an XXL pocket. It was much too big for a size 4 shorts.
I ended up using it as a side pocket instead. I think it worked out perfect.
Thursday, July 26, 2012
I have just discovered a new (to me) blog, Garage Sales R Us. This blog is all about Garage Sales and all things thrifty. If you like to go to garage sales, have garage sales and bargain shop than this is the sight for you. Right now Garage Sales R Us is giving away, 1 Personal Electric Cutter Cricut Machine. This machine can quickly and easily cut alphabets and shapes. To get more information and enter to win visit Garage Sales R Us.